Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Saint Patty's Day

For as long as I can remember, every March 17th we've had the same meal; Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes and Carrots. Saint Patrick's Day is the one day of the year that my family let's it's 1/8th of Irish shine through.

Most of the year I won't even touch Corned Beef, I'm more of a Pastrami girl. In fact the only difference is the smoking process and some black pepper, but for some reason I prefer the latter.

The history of eating Corned Beef on Saint Patrick's Day is actually an Irish-American tradition that dates back to the late 1800's, while looking for a cheaper alternative to Irish bacon, some Irish Immigrants in the Lower East Side of New York sought advice of Jewish neighbors and the dish Corned Beef and Cabbage was born.

When we make it, we always start with a corned beef brisket, throw it in the crock pot and to that add some cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, spices and some water, let it cook and then enjoy it with some green beer.

Cabbage, Onions, and Root Vegetables.

Corned Beef Brisket.

I had some baguette on the side, along with some of Emeril Legasse's spicy horseradish mustard. Instead of butter on my potatoes I used the I Can't Believe it's not Butter Spray.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. dawww.... Thats one American tradition I don't think my family has ever kept up with, we've done it maybe a few times...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin