Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Vortex

The original plan was to go to Ann's Snack Bar on Memorial drive because Raymond Sokolov of the Wall Street Journal claims it's the best burger in America, and it just happens to be in Atlanta. I will tell you that I have been to Ann's, twice, and both times it was really lovely and quite the experience. The first time I went I got yelled at by Miss Ann for not knowing what I wanted (the menu isn't very clear) and the second time I was more than prepared, but my friend got yelled at for the same thing.

Ann's is a tiny little shack off of Memorial Dr in East Atlanta and it's famous for "The Ghetto Burger", which is a double cheese burger piled high with chili and deep fried bacon and "The Hood Burger", which offers the same with the extra topping of Cole Slaw. Both sound nasty to me, so I have always opted for the basic cheeseburger.

I was hoping to take Brian here seeing how Ann's is somewhat of an Atlanta institution since the Wall Street Journal article, but sadly, it's also the reason for the sometimes upward of 2 hour wait and I had a plane to catch at 4:00.

I feel as if I can make the claims in this entry because in Sokolov's article, I have had 5 of the burgers listed. Ann's Snack Bar, The Earl (also in Alanta), In-N-Out, The Apple Pan, and The Vortex; which is where I took Brian instead.

The Vortex, Home of Atlanta's Best Burger! (or so they say...)
878 Peachtree St NE # 4
Atlanta, GA 30309

(404) 875-1667


The entrance to the one in Little 5 Points is through the mouth of a giant tripped out skull, which I find rather charming and is the main reason I go to this one.

Brian outside the entrance.

Inside is a mish mosh of Biker-esque decorum, vintage posters, and kitschy knick-knacks, hanging from every possible location.

Inside The Vortex's L5P location.

We sat down and got to staring at our menus. I recommend that you really read everything on it, as its good for a laugh.

The Vortex's Menu:Full of Lulz

One of the things they are famous for is their Double Coronary Bypass Burger. Brian asked the waitress how often if was ordered and she told us its a lot more often than you think. The thing is made up of a big sirloin patty topped with 2 fried eggs, 4 slices of American cheese, 5 slices of bacon, and a big fat side of mayo, with 2 grilled cheese sandwiches replacing the buns. It's something you would find on This is Why You're Fat. Sadly no one ordered it while we were there or we would have snapped a photo. (Luckily another Foodbuzzer blogged about it and I linked it above if you're curious!) In fact if you want, you can make your own!

Horrible and blurry attempt at Macro lens of The Vortex's Menu
showing Double Coronary Burger. This is just for proof.


We started off with the Fried Cheddar Bites. Deep fried balls of white cheddar, and served with a yummy horseradish sauce that to me was reminiscent of the stuff they serve with a Bloomin' Onion at Outback.

Deep Fried Cheddar Bites with Horseradish dipping sauce.

Serious, swear to you, these things were AMAZING. I had never ordered them before and Brian spotted them on the menu and the waitress concurred that they shouldn't be missed.

Brian, enjoying delicious Cheddar Bites.

I ordered the Vortex burger with American cheese, grilled onions and extra pickles, and a side of fried zucchini with ranch. Good luck finding much here that isn't deep fried or covered in cheese.

Vortex Burger with American Cheese and Grilled Onions and Fried Zucchini.

Brian opted for the Black&Blue burger. It's coated in Cajun spices with a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) glob of their Blue Cheese Spread. He got Onion rings as his side and I gave him one of my pickles.

Black & Blue Burger with Onion Rings.

He liked it, but these burgers are seriously huge. We could have easily gotten one and shared but we have different, discerning tastes. Neither of our plates we're even close to being cleaned, and Brian took most of the left overs home.

The Vortex Cheeseburger, scale to my face, and I have a HUGE face.

When I asked the unbelievably easy to please with cooked meat Brian whether or not the Vortex was one of the best burgers he's ever had, he replied with a simple and to the point "yea" and then he called me "newspaper lady".

I think that speaks for itself.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha I think that is the point, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Vortex <3
    They laughed at my Britishness and were unbelievably insistant on topping up my sweet tea whenever I took a sip. :D

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin