Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

As a kid, my sister LOVED brussel sprouts. I thought she was a crazy person, but she freaking loved them. I don't remember how my mother made them for her, but I'm sure they we're steamed and over cooked to the point of me not finding them appetizing at all. My mom made a lot of really delicious things, but steamed veggies weren't one of them. It wasn't until a few years ago that I tried brussel sprouts again, and I understood what my sister had known all along.

 They are pretty amazing little veggies.





Of course, I don't like mine steamed, I prefer a nice long oven roast, but in the summer when they are in abundance in the markets, and I don't really like heating my house up with an oven, I prefer this method.

You will need;
  • 4 large, or 8 small brussel spouts per person 
  • oil of your choice (I usually use olive oil, but rendered bacon fat makes an amazing substitute!)
  • salt & pepper to taste
Wash and prepare your sprouts by cutting off the nubby stem at the bottom and slicing them down the center length wise. Remove any damaged or loose leaves. Heat a large skillet to high and add oil to pan until hot. Lower heat to medium high. Add sprouts, cut side down, to the pan and let roast/caramelize for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cover, reducing heat to medium low.Continue to cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Serve!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin