Saturday, June 6, 2009

Johnnie's Pastrami

So I've been slacking lately. This isn't because I haven't been eating, because oh boy have I been eating! But my computer has been on the fritz and I just haven't been in the mood to deal with its insanity.

With that being said, there are going to be a lot of posts this weekend. And I mean a lot. So I hope you have nothing better to do than read this blog.

Last week when I was working in LA, I stopped into an institution for a quick "bite". The word "bite" doesn't even begin to describe what you get when you walk into the doors of Johnnie's Pastrami on Sepulveda in Culver City, but let me try.

The first time I tried Johnnie's was a few months ago. Up until my infamous trip to Vegas with my best Jewish friend Melissa, I hadn't even HAD pastrami. I'm not the HUGEST corned beef fan, so I had mostly steered clear of it, but once I had it, a love affair ensued.

I had heard over and over that Johnnie's had the best in LA, and although I haven't had time to have every pastrami sandwich in LA (challenge much?), I can say without a doubt, that they have some mighty fine meat. A quick google search of the joint brings up pages and pages of reviews to help ease your mind if you are still unsure.

The inside of Johnnie's looks like any typical road side diner. Long counters surrounding the grill station, perfect set ups of ketchup, mustard and napkins at 3 chair intervals, but I assure you this is no typical diner. Outside there is a covered patio, and picnic tables for those wishing for a bit more fresh air.

I ordered the basic sandwich that made them famous. Pastrami on a French roll, loaded with speecy spicy mustard. Careful! Their mustard bites back, and it not for the timid or faint of heart, but if you love wasabi, horseradish, pain, or clear sinuses, by all means, load it up. It comes with a heafty order of crinkle cut fries, so for people like Michelle, who are weird and think they taste DIFFERENT than plain or regular cut fries, it might be best to forfit them from the begining.

Inside the bread you are going to find layer upon layer of meat. It's probably best eaten with a knife and fork, but you are too scared to look like a big ol pansy, so you just dive in and hope for the best. It's not a good choice for road food, eating on the run, or takeout, unless you plan on going straight home. Vegetarians also need not apply.

This is the kind of sandwich that makes Greek Gods weep and puts that badass George Washington in his rightful place. I'm not even gonna lie.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin