Monday, January 12, 2009

Beans beans the musical fruit!

My mom sent me an email today about beans! I wish I could link it, but it's one of those sign up to see sites, and I didn't sign up, so I can copy and paste my favorite part here...

"Bean eaters are associated with smaller waist sizes and a 22 percent lower risk of obesity. They also take in less "bad" fat and one-third more fiber than those who avoid these nutritional gems.

One cup of beans provides a whopping 13 grams of fiber--which is half of what we need daily--with no saturated fat. Beans are loaded with protein (about 15 grams per cup) and dozens of key nutrients, including a few most women fall short on--calcium, potassium, and magnesium. Studies also tie beans to a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and breast and colon cancers. And surprisingly, red, pinto, and kidney beans are the highest antioxidant food, beating out both blueberries and cranberries."

This article can be found somewhere on the Fat Belly Diets Website. Happy Hunting I guess.

But since beans are really SO GOOD FOR YOU! I guess it's a great thing I've "BEAN" eating this!! (wot wot)



That's right loyal fans, those are in fact, beans. Homemade, in a crock pot for hours. They are loaded with carrots, onions, garlic, celery, and about only 3 pieces of bacon for a lil fat, flavor and protein(as if the beans alone weren't enough).

I started off the meal with a side salad, 1 tbsp of oil and vinegar dressing and then added some balsamic drizzled over the top. I'm not a huge dressing person, so this option was actually really good for me, AND! Low in calories!

The biscuit was my splurge, and rounded in at about 150 calories after we did the math. But it's pretty much the best biscuit ever since I got it straight out of the Flying Biscuit Cafes cookbook! If anyone wants the recipe, just ask and I'll post it. But it's already got a lot of butter in it, so to save some calories, I added this spray butter on it.


Now, honestly, before trying it, I thought my very overly enthusiastic mother was much to much in love with it. She puts the damn stuff on everything. Baked potatoes, popcorn, corn on the cob. It's like the woman is having a spray butter affair with it. But I tried it, and it REALLY DOES taste like butter.

Fabio ain't lying folks.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin