Thursday, January 15, 2009

Taco Salad ala berta

I've been struggling to come up with new ideas for meals and snacks with what I have in the house right now. I'm going out of town to LA for a few days to work, and it seems silly to shop for food and have it sit around if I'll be gone.

So as we were using up the last of the stuff in the fridge we decided to make tacos, again... and since last time it was SOOOO calorie laden, I ran to the store, bought some lettuce, some more tortillas and some chicken breasts to use instead of ground beef.

I decided to make a taco salad instead of traditional tacos and save myself some calories by pouring on the veggies. It turned out really well I think.



I started out by just putting the chicken breast into a small pan, and covering the lid. No extra oils, or greases, just naked chicken on a non stick Teflon-esque surface. Once the chicken started to turn white all over, and brown on one side, I vigorusly seasoned one side with taco seasoning, and flipped it over to do the same on the other. I then added just a bit of water to help steam the chicken and make a saucy mix of seasons and put the lid back on.



We make tacos a lot so at Costco we bought a giant tub of the stuff. It's got like minuscule calories, so unless you plan on eating it out of the tub with a spoon, I think we're ok.

After the chicken was done, I let it cool a bit and shredded it. Next I took a flour tortilla shell and flattened it out, and spread about 1/4 cup of beans on top of it, and topped that with a pinch or 2 of shredded cheese, letting it melt. Next came the chicken, and then I topped it with loads of lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, and onions.




If you do it right, it should look like that.

For a taco salad dressing I took 2 tbsp of sour cream, a tsp of milk, a shake or 2 of taco seasons and a couple shakes hot sauce and mixed it all together. I like my sauce with a little more kick, so I added extra hot sauce and then drizzled it over the top.



It was pretty big, so I had to use a knife to cut it to eat it. It was super yummy, and I might just eat all my homemade tacos this way from now on. I didn't miss the ground beef at all and the chicken actually tasted a lot better, plus its a lot healthier and less greasy than beef.




If anyone else has any good recipes for lower cal tacos, let me know, I'd love to try some out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. thanks! It was super yummy and I'm totally craving it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks good! So does the dressing you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dressing was so easy and so good! And sour cream isn't too bad in calories, or you could even use the fat free kind!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin