Saturday, January 31, 2009

Low Cal and Healthy on a limit

So I've been crashing at Jordan's house, sleeping on the couch in an apartment full of boy. To say that the kitchen is up to par would be an understatement, but I make it work.

Now I don't expect his kitchen to be spotless, or even have half the utensils I have, but the boy uses plastic red cups and paper plates. His pots don't have lids and you'd be hard pressed to find any Tupperware or even plastic wrap. In fact, spices are few and far between. But these are all reasons I love him and fodder for making fun on him on a constant basis.

The upside of Jordans humble abode, is that he lives ACROSS THE STREET from Vons! Vons is just a basic grocery store, like Ralphs, or Kroger, or Publix, but the fact that it is so close, means FRESH fruits, veggies, and meats!

It's very hard to keep dieting and eating healthy on a "budget" and even more so in someone elses house. I did my best.



Blackened Lemon Chicken, with brown rice and black beans.

On a whim, I grabed a medium sized pan, added a small amount of olive oil, and threw in a VERY seasoned chicken breast. I coated the chicken in lots of yummy spices, I used a chicken rub, a Montreal seasoning, and also some Mrs. Dash. I worked with what I had at my disposal, gimme a break people. I threw the chicken into the hot oil, and used the juice from one fresh lemon, 1/2 half squeezed over each half of the chicken. I then added about 1/3 a cup of water to the pan and covered with foil since I didn't have a lid. I cooked the chicken for about 7 minutes on each side or until cooked and the "sauce" I made had reduced.

I made some "boil in a bag" brown rice and a can of low sodium black beans, and arranged them on my very sexy paper plate. I assume that Jordan and Shaun's carbon footprint is pretty high.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin