Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blueberry Muffin in a Bowl

It's been a few days without a post, but I've been really busy in my real life! Good thing I've been taking lots of pictures so I'd have a lot to blog about when I got back to the interwebz.

Last week, we got hit with a cold spell in Southern California. It was the worst. To combat my coldness, I took advantage of the fact that I had a huge new bag of Coach's Oats in the pantry!!

Lately I've been trying lots of new ways to cook oatmeal, and this recipe has definitely an instant fave.



What you need:

1/2 cup Coach's Oats*
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tbsp I can't Believe it's not Butter Spray
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans (optional)

* If you don't have Coach's Oats, or any other Irish, or Steel Cut oatmeal, and just wanna use plain ol' Quaker of the like, use 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup water.

Steel-cut oats are the inside of the oat kernel which have been cut into only two or three pieces, so they are a lot more coarse. They have a lower glycemic index than instant oats, but take longer to cook, thus needing more liquids. They tend to be a bit more "grainy" but I think their extra texture adds a nice touch.

Combine the oats, milk, water, butter spray and blueberries into a med sized saucepan over medium heat.



When the liquids and oats thicken, add spices, vanilla, and sugar. By now the blueberries should have expanded and gotten all warm and yummy, some might even have popped creating a bluish purple colored oatmeal.



At this point I added a handful of pecans for some crunch and protein, but this is totally optional, but totally worth it. If you don't like pecans, almonds, or walnuts work fine too.



All in all it was super yummy and delicious and totally hit the spot. It stuck to my ribs all morning and kept me really full til lunch.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. This sounds REALLY good. I need to start getting fancy with my oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin