Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homemade Granola!

One of my AB FAB Favorite clients and I were exchanging recipes (as we often do) and she told me about her new favorite snack. GRANOLA!! Well I am all for new recipes and I am all for granola, it just gets SO DARN expensive. So thanks to Jennifer for this yummy recipe, cuz it literally costs PENNIES to make!!

This is the recipe Jen gave me; but me being me I tweaked it a bit.

1.5 cups oats
1/4 cup unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup unsalted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pecans,  coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. honey
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 300 and spray a large baking sheet with cooking oil.
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, mixing well to  be sure everything is coated with the syrup and honey. Spread the mixture onto the prepared sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden  brown. Let cool completely before storing.

Berta's Tweaked version;



I started off with 1 cup oats, and 1/2 a cup steel cut oats, maple syrup, clover honey, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and a nut mix I picked up in the bulk section of the market (it includes peanuts, pecans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews ect ect...) I also added a handful of sunflower seeds, and a handful of pumpkin seeds.

It's my MEGA MUFA MIX!



Then basically, throw everything in a bowl and stir it until its well mixed.



Spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 for about 25-30 mins, stirring it around to make sure it doesn't burn every 5-10 minutes.



The great thing about granola is that as long as you add Dry (oats), and Wet (honey), you can mix ANYTHING into it and make lots of different flavors.

I even made a batch with brown sugar and maple syrup only for cereal in the morning.



As the granola cools it will harden. Store it in an airtight container for up to 10 days, if it lasts that long.

For a great to go snack, add some chocolate chips, raisins, cranberries, whatever and put it in a sandwich bag and throw it in your purse/bag/backpack if you get hungry in the middle of the day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. Once again, you teach me something new. I never knew exactly what the heck granola was, just that i really really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! It looks great! Isn't it yummy? I'm honored to be mentioned in your new awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It is soooo great! Thanks for sharing your recipe with me!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin