Saturday, February 21, 2009

I Heart "Heart" Salad

For Valentine's Day, I planned a great meal in my head. I knew that I wouldn't be able to see Brian until AFTER the 14th, so I kept the recipe in there and acted upon it later. The center of the Valentine Meal was the Salad, which I dubbed Heart Salad based on the ingredients.

You will need;



Hearts of Romaine Lettuce (either chopped yourself , or in a bag; I went the easy route)
"Fancy" Lettuce
Jar of Artichoke Hearts
Jar of Hearts of Palm
Can of Beets
Candied Pecans (I used Trader Joe's, but you can candy them yourself if you want)
Red Wine Vinegar Dressing

I started by draining the can of beets and using a paring knife, carving them into hearts. You can use a small heart shaped cookie cutter, which are very easy to find this time of year, or you can be all fancy schmancy and try to carve them yourself.




It took patience and a steady hand, but eventually I carved them all. Next I drained each jar of "hearts" and cut them into bite size peices.



Next fill a bowl with the hearts of romaine and "fancy" lettuce. What I call "fancy" lettuce is basically radicchio, arugula, baby spinach and the like.



For the dressing I used a premade Red Wine Vinaigrette and fixed it up with some garlic, oregano, lemon juice , a bit of the oil marinade from the artichoke hearts and a bit more red wine vinegar.

Throw everything in the salad bowl and drizzle with the dressing.



Serve with your sweetie.

<3

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. I like your playfulness and inventiveness in this salad. Carving the beets was a nice touch!

    Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The salad was uber nummy! I'll check out your site asap!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin